The rationale of aquaculture is to initiate the development of policies, standards, guidelines, plans and regulations governing aquaculture activities and collaborate with county governments and relevant bodies on sustainable aquaculture development.
- Initiate the development of policies, standards, guidelines, plans and regulations governing aquaculture activities;
- Collaborate with county governments and relevant bodies on sustainable aquaculture development;
- Develop and maintain a register of aquaculture establishments;
- Monitor and regulate live fish movements;
- Develop fish disease surveillance and control mechanism;
- Promote adoption of appropriate technologies in aquaculture production and value chain;
- Collect, analyze and disseminate aquaculture information in collaboration with relevant stakeholders;
- Strengthen national stakeholder fora and networks for aquaculture development;
- Identify research priorities in aquaculture;
- Identify investment opportunities in commercial aquaculture;
- Development of gene bank, germ plasm and standards for quarantine facilities;
- Coordinate aquaculture development institutional framework;
- Domesticate regional aquaculture policies;
- Develop technologies for seed bulking; and
- Develop seed certification guidelines.
The Directorate is organised into the following two (2) departments :
- Innovation and Technology;
- Genetic and Breeding.